What is a pouch sling?
Pouch slings are a piece of fabric sewn into a tube shape.
Advantages of a pouch are that it is easy to take the child in and out and there are no adjustments that need to be made. Pouches utilize the least amount of fabric which makes them less bulky but also limits sharing between caregivers unless they are similar in size.
There are some pouches that are adjustable, though they are hard to adjust when the baby is in the pouch and they still cannot be shared if there is a big size difference between caregivers.
Pouches can be used for front, back (after 1 year old), and hip carry positions and for hands-free nursing.
Pouches are available in many different fabrics, including fleece, cotton, and mesh (perfect for swimming and hot weather).
Why we love pouches:
- Super easy to use
- No adjusting, tying or snapping – just pop ’em in and go!
- Great for quick carries and for kids who want to get up and down a lot.
- Sleek, simple design
- Relatively inexpensive
- Compact & easy to fit in your diaper bag
Pouches are great for:
- First-time sling users
- Children who want to get up and down a lot
- Caregivers who want something fast and easy
- Quick trips
Not ideal for:
- Back carries
- People with some shoulder and back problems (due to being one-shouldered)
- Caregivers of different sizes who want to share a carrier